Assistant Dean of Students
Position Type: Full Time, Immediate Hire
About Great Oaks Charter School – Wilmington
The Great Oaks (GO) Charter School – Wilmington opened in downtown Wilmington in the fall of 2015. This school year, Great Oaks – Wilmington serves 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. In the 2021-2022 school year, Great Oaks will add 12th grade to its enrollment, celebrating its first ever graduating high school class. Great Oaks provides a unique structure of support for its students. Middle school students receive daily individualized instruction from an AmeriCorps tutor to supplement their classroom learning. This commitment to mentorship and individualized learning helps Great Oaks students reach their maximum potential.
Great teachers are at the heart of what we do and are the key to our students’ success. Our most successful teachers are mission-driven, adaptable and have a collaborative team mindset.
Key responsibilities include:
- Implements programs that promote positive student behavior and that motivate students to exhibit the school’s values
- Assists with the planning of community meetings, field trips, character education, and other similar culture-building events.
- Assists the Dean of Students with discipline and culture issues at school, on the bus, and at school events.
- Assists the Dean of Students in supporting students who need to take a break from class, helps students process their behavior and make a plan for better choices
- Supports staff in responding to student behavior needs
- Communicates regularly with families, developing a “team” approach that strives towards the best interest of the student
- Maintains accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, detentions, and calls home for behavior.
- Ensures that the physical environment of the school reinforces the school culture and facilitates student achievement.
- Assists with summer professional development sessions aimed at strengthening and implementing the school’s culture handbook under the direction of the Dean of Students.
- Assists with Family Orientation and Summer Camp Gladiators, as needed
- Conducts home visits during student orientation as well as throughout the year, as needed
Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of strong relationship building in an urban environment, a commitment to holding high expectations for all students, and exceptional communication skills. The successful candidate will also have:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university
- At least two years of experience in classroom instruction or student support in an urban environment
- Experience using data-driven practices and techniques to inform practices and decision making
- Technological proficiency in Google and Office products
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- Proven success in communicating with students, families and colleagues
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
Leadership Skills & Characteristics
- Embodies, advocates, and operationalizes the school’s mission, vision, expectations, and values.
- Demonstrates a high level of professional maturity including emotional constancy in stressful situations.
- Has the ability to bring out the best in others and acts as a positive force to motivate others.
- Carefully manages tasks and time by being extremely well-organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrates tenacity and persistence in pursuit of solutions that maximize student achievement.
- Works collaboratively with the leadership team and instructional staff to support the needs of students.
- Is open and committed to implementing frequent feedback from lead teachers and school leaders.
- Exhibits ability to effectively relate to, engage, and communicate with a diverse group of students and their families in one-on-one, small group, and large group settings.
- Communicates effectively in both formal and informal settings.
This position is available for immediate hire. This is a 12-month position. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.