Position Type: Full time, 10-month, Immediate Hire
About Great Oaks Charter School – Wilmington
The Great Oaks (GO) Charter School – Wilmington opened in downtown Wilmington in the fall of 2015. This school year, Great Oaks – Wilmington serves 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. In the 2021-2022 school year, Great Oaks will add 12th grade to its enrollment, celebrating its first ever graduating high school class. Great Oaks provides a unique structure of support for its students. Middle school students receive daily individualized instruction from an AmeriCorps tutor to supplement their classroom learning. This commitment to mentorship and individualized learning helps Great Oaks students reach their maximum potential.
Great Oaks is looking for a compassionate, equity-minded, student-centered individual to serve as a para-educator for our highest need students. Para-educators work one-on-one or in small groups with particular students throughout the day to support them with their academic and social-emotional development. It is essential that this individual has a firm belief that every student can succeed. Working under the direct supervision of our Director of Student Support Services, this individual will support students who have specialized educational and behavioral needs. They will be responsible for knowing and understanding the Individualized Education Plans for each student on their caseload and providing the necessary support and intervention.
Key responsibilities include:
Provide direct, individualized student support by:
- Collaborating with general education teachers, special education teachers, and tutors to support in the implementation of appropriate accommodations/modifications for each student
- Building relationships/maintain consistent communication with families regarding student progress
- Assisting in collection and tracking of student data
Maintain strong classroom and school culture by:
- Clearly and consistently communicating and upholding school rules, values, and expectations in and out of the classroom
- Setting an urgent, respectful, and positive tone with students
- Displaying extraordinary time management to maximize student learning
- Taking on responsibilities such as advisory, lunch duty, enrichment classes, and after school activities
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess exceptional relationship-building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. They will have a proven track record of professionalism and hard work. The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with at least an Associates degree from a competitive college or university required
- Delaware Para-educator Certification, preferred
- Extremely strong relationship building and behavior management abilities
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
This position is for the 2021-2022 school year and the successful candidate will start in the summer of 2021. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.