Great Oaks (GO) Charter School – Wilmington opened in downtown Wilmington in the fall of 2015. In the 2020-21 school year, Great Oaks – Wilmington will serve approximately 415 students in grades 6-11 and will grow to serve students in grades 6th-12th by adding 12th grade in the following year. Many of our students enter our program behind grade level.
We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. We pair rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support from teachers, tutors, and staff. We prepare our students for college and career success through several key elements:
- Small school – Grade-level cohorts of less 100 students allows each student to feel connected and known. We focus on community and relationship building with families and students.
- High expectations – Rigorous, differentiated, college-preparatory coursework. Advanced Placement and real college course options for juniors and seniors.
- Individualized Instruction – World-class teachers with clear expectations, who are supported by a cadre of AmeriCorps fellows.
Great Oaks Charter School – Wilmington is seeking experienced and passionate college graduates of all ages to serve in our Bridge Leadership Program as AmeriCorps Members for the 2020-2021 school year. BRIDGE stands for Building Relationships in Delaware Grows Everyone. This new initiative is focused on creating connections between our students, our school, and our community. Bridge Leaders will play a critical role in achieving our school’s mission of creating a safe, effective, and innovative learning environment that enables each scholar to reach his or her greatest potential through a high dosage of individualized attention. Over the course of the school year, Bridge Leaders will provide high quality mentorship opportunities for students, design and facilitate family programming, and/or lead student-focused projects that will enhance the Great Oaks community.
- Building a Community Mentorship Program – Bridge Leaders will provide small group mentoring on a weekly basis for students as they make decisions regarding academics, relationships, and life goals. This mentorship will be focused on the development of social-emotional skills and improving behavioral outcomes for our students. Members will also be responsible for building and facilitating a network of community members who will provide mentorship to our targeted students within our student body.
- Driving Educational Outcomes during COVID-19 Virtual & Hybrid Learning – Bridge Leaders will lead in-person pods of 10-12 students throughout the duration of distance learning. A small group of Great Oaks students will come to the building to complete their coursework this fall. In this role, Bridge Leaders will oversee these students as they attend to complete their coursework and, in some cases, assist in leading additional programming for students as needed.
- Parent & Family Engagement – Great Oaks is a family-centered school. Bridge Leaders will work alongside our Family Engagement Coordinator to support Great Oaks families. They will plan events, conduct check-ins, and connect families with community resources. Bridge Leaders will track trends in family needs and work with the Operations Team to provide solutions to common problems.
- Experience working in urban and/or high-poverty schools preferred
- A willingness and ability to work in person (COVID-19 precautions will be taken by the school to ensure health and safety)
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A proven ability to build relationships with students and families
- Experience developing and leading projects
- Current authorization to work in the United States
- Successful criminal background and child protection check
Benefits and Compensation:
- As AmeriCorps Members, Bridge Leaders will receive the following benefits:
- A living stipend of $14,279 for the year
- A Segal Education Award in the amount of $6,195, upon completion of 1700 hours of service
- Health Benefits
- Child Care Allowance
- Membership in an established network of service-minded professionals